Sunday, February 14, 2010

My son is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome

Yes, that's right, last Monday I received the news that my 5 1/2 year old son's test results had been reviewed by the pediatric neurologist and that they were "consistent with Asperger's." We meet with the neurologist again on Monday, the 22nd to get his recommendations. So far with the Sensory Processing Disorder diagnosis, his recommendations have been for occupational therapy and supplements (CoQ10, B vitamins, and Omega-3s.) But I wonder what he will recommend now.

Some people consider Asperger's high-functioning autism and some people don't want it associated with autism at all. I'm not sure where I fall in this debate but having the diagnosis definitely makes me think about the ramifications of both.

I handled the news really well I think, although it took some time for it to really sink in. After completing the questionnaire, I suspected he would probably come back with the Asperger's diagnosis. But it's always difficult when you finally hear it. I went through the typical emotions of sadness, anger and grieving, but I quickly reached the point of "I am going to do everything I have to so that my son LOSES the diagnosis." And I know it's possible, because other people have been successful doing this with their kids who have Asperger's, autism, and SPD diagnoses.

Since we have been gluten-free for a couple of years now, I don't have the learning curve that many parents do when considering biomedical approaches to treating autism spectrum disorders. We do consume real milk rather than traditional store-bought milk and I need to do some research into whether it can be an issue like store-bought milk often is. My other son and I have been able to tolerate it well where we couldn't tolerate store-bought milk at all.

I think the part I personally struggle with the most is understanding the science behind all of these disorders (autism, ADHD, allergies and asthma). Biology and chemistry were never my strong suit but suddenly in addition to being a mother, I also need to be a scientist.

I will be doing tons of reading (as if that's anything new) and will especially be looking at herbal solutions as I think herbs are God's medicine. I hope you will join me on this journey and that you will share your stories of grieving, as well as of hope. We're all in this together.


No comments:

Post a Comment