Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My name is Julie and I'm a Dr. Pepper-aholic

Many years ago when I was a teenager, I remember a great aunt sticking her fingers in her ears and me asking what she was doing. It turns out she was doing self-acupuncture. Acupuncture can be used to help with addictions and the points for smoking are in your ears. Acupuncturists will put small needles in your ears and then you turn them on your own. And it worked for her, she's never smoked again and she's in her 80s now.

Since going "crunchy" as an old friend once described me, I have given up many foods I used to love, the most impactful and also the toughest being wheat. But I saw such a dramatic change in my health, that I just haven't gone back. My asthma went away almost entirely and my allergies, once very severe, dwindled to mild. I've given up traditional meats, only buying grass-fed or pastured. Most of the fruits and vegetables I eat are fresh and organic. I rarely eat anything out of a can.

But I have one food item I haven't been able to give up entirely no matter how many times I have tried. And that is a soda common in Texas called Dr. Pepper. It truly is an addiction for me. I KNOW how bad high-fructose corn-syrup and caffeine are. I know that when I don't drink it, I lose weight, my moods don't swing, and my allergies are decreased. When I do drink it, I am setting a bad example for my kids. But I know that when I'm stressed, that's what I want. I know that when I need a comfort food, that's what I want. When I get on the road (which is often since I live in a rural community), I want one.

I've been drinking it since my former stepfather came into my life when I was 9 and he drank it. 31 years I've been drinking it. So, I recently contacted a hypnotherapist recommended by a good friend. She said, "Maybe it's filling a need for something sweet in your life, or maybe it replaces something you needed back when you started drinking it." Hmmm, interesting concepts.

You know, I felt pretty silly contacting a hypnotherapist about a soda addiction. But it's no different than any other addiction. I can't stop even though I want to. No matter how long I go without it, if I drink just one, I start drinking them regularly again. If I get stressed out, I want one. Is this any different than cigarettes, alcohol or drugs? No, it's not.

What about you? Do you have a food addiction? Or maybe some other addiction? Have any tips for me? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment