Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sometimes You Gotta Be Like the Vulture (Glide with Vision)

Last week, my sons and I arrived home from an errand and I happened to look up in the sky and observed a small bird dive-bombing a vulture. Over and over again, this small bird would peck at this vulture's back, chasing it farther and farther away. The vulture just glided beautifully like vultures do (hey, what they eat may be gross, but they are beautiful in the air) and slowly flew away.

At first I thought of myself as the small bird and I likened my children's special needs to the vulture--this really large problem that I have to dive-bomb over and over again and it only glides away but sometimes returns. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I am more like the vulture. I'm on a life-path and sometimes, I go through a part of life where I get dive-bombed by a little bird (my children's challenges or my own health for example) and the best way to solve that problem is to soar, glide, and use my incredible vision to discover a new way to get to where I'm going.

And that's what life is. We're all seeking something, whether it be our next meal like the vulture, the truth, solutions for our children's challenges, happiness, security, etc. And we get dive-bombed along the way, but when that happens, take a minute to picture yourself as a beautiful bird soaring in the sunlit sky, using the superb vision that birds have, and finding a new path to what you seek. As long as you do this, you WILL be a success!

2 comments: