Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Being Your Own Advocate

As for the psychiatrist, I think he was overworked. He was one of the few psychiatrists in the city that still accepted insurance so I'm sure people were knocking down his door. I do think he was knowledgeable about his field. But in retrospect, do I think he was really getting to know his patients in order to provide a proper diagnosis? Absolutely not.

One of the diagnoses he gave me was for a mental illness that is usually initially diagnosed to someone in their teens!! Not in their late 30s.

Was he really listening when I would call his office regarding the side effects of the medications he had given me? Absolutely not.

So my advice to all of you, if you have any doubts about your doctor or the medication he/she has prescribed, you must trust your intuition and judgement. You are the ONLY person who will look after you. You are the only advocate you have. And this applies if you are a parent as well. You are the only advocate your child has. Do what is best for you/them no matter the cost.

Since the incident that year, I have become even more focused on health, both mine and my boys'. I have tried various diets (not for weight loss, for health) and have learned something from each of them. Most recently, I have begun using and selling Pure Herbs products. They are mostly liquid herbs that I take or give to my boys for various reasons, just about any health issue you can imagine. They have improved our health considerably in a very short amount of time. I'm learning to use them to build our immune systems, get rid of viruses (pretty important now that school is starting) before they can really kick in, and clear our digestive system. I have also been the recipient of one Reiki treatment and experienced a noticeable change in my health after receiving it. So much so that I am going to be trained to provide it as well. I will explain more about Reiki in another post.

After quitting the psychotropic medications, I did take an anti-depressant medication for a short time. I also began using bio-identical hormones as my estrogen and progesterone levels were "off." However, just in the last month or two, since cutting out all processed foods, soy, sugar, grains, and most carbs, beginning the use of the herbs, and receiving the Reiki treatment, I have been able to discontinue the use of the prescription anti-depressant and the hormones. My energy levels are out of this world, I no longer require 9+ hours of sleep each night, I have regained "most" of my patience (hey, I do still have a 2-year old!), and I'm feeling much more like the "me" I was several years ago.

Don't be intimidated by all the changes I have made. This has been a true journey for me and my children. I have had to make changes in our lives one small step at a time. Has it been difficult? You had better believe it. Do people close to me roll their eyes because they think I am just "out there" and that I'm harming my children by cheating them out of Twinkies and Cheetos? Yes, they do. But I have seen the health changes in me and my children. I know what a difference it will make in our health in the long run.

My children and I will have a marked decrease in our chances for diabetes and cancer, our allergies, once severe, will be gone, and barring any accidents, we will likely live longer than most people around us. So if being my own advocate means I get to be around to enjoy my children (and hopefully grandchildren) for a long, long time, then the challenges are worth it to me.

What about you? I would love to hear how you have advocated for yourself or your children. Please share a story for me and the others out there. Every story has the potential to change a life.

1 comment:

  1. This came from someone who e-mailed me directly and I asked her permission to post this here.

    I just read your blog and applaud you for taking your health into your own hands. I am an RN of 25 years and broke away from alopathic medicine 6+ years ago when I found myself at deaths door to to physician error.

    The reason I do holistic care for the dogs is a direct result of my own ill health and what vets do to them.

    I have an asthmatic child who not longer suffers with it, my husband and daughter have Celiac Disease which we cured 1 year ago and my daughter is lactose intolerant, but not on raw milk products. My oldest son is ADD that we treat with real food, vitamins and herbs, so I understand your journey. So glad to hear you have control of your own destination.
    If there is any way that I can help you on your journey, just ask.

    ReplyDelete